Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Tuesdays are travel-around-Italy days. Yesterday we took the train to Milan, 1.5-hour ride, which is truly not bad. We'd been told that it would be colder there, and MAN what an understatement. It was FREEZING. No sun, either. Apparently Milan is as such from September to April, then it turns to Sahara-like heat. Delightful. We looked at the modern architecture, which was stark and cold (and soon to be uploaded to my flickr account), and then took a running tour of the city (like a walking tour, but faster, and less enjoyable). WI went with a few kids to a cafe a few blocks away from Il Duomo (to avoid the touristy prices) for lunch, which was a pizza (everyone was eating pizza, to the exclusion of anything else on the menu) and a San Pelligrino -- I'm so Italian.
There was a huge crowd across from Il Duomo, screaming and waving signs and pompoms. I noticed a lot of 14-year-old girls dressed to the hilt, in all their faux Dolce & Gabbana (it's everywhere) finery. After asking around, I found out that it was the studio for Italy's TRL, and Take That (Robbie Williams's boy band) was there today. Hence the screaming.Screaming girls.
Camera crew filming screaming girls.

I'm considering going with a group of kids back to Milan this weekend, just for a day, to check out the shopping. I've gotta check and make sure it's doable, but Italy has sales only twice a year, January and August, and while I'm here, might as well check out the fashion capital of the world for some cheap fancies.
I love you all!

No comments: