Thursday, October 05, 2006

tell me this doesn't look computer-generated:
You can't, because it 100% does. or at least 60% -- the bottom 60%. Thomas Heatherwick designed this for Longchamp, which appears to be a women's retailer, or one that makes really feminine man-purses. They describe it pretty accurately as a landscape, rather than a staircase. These photos make me want to climb up it lengthwise, which is probably frowned upon, considering I'd have to hop over the railing that is likely there for a reason.
It's nice to see that bendy shapes don't have to be completely lawless in terms of geometry; this shot shows beautiful symmetry through the change in elevation:
I scanned the images from "Architectural Record," which explains the magazine-y text.

1 comment:

Dan McCormack said...

Ooh, this is amazing. I'm in love with that staircase. I'd like one in my house, where I could get rid of those stupid railings and slide down the side of it as God intended.