Friday, March 13, 2009

I have several projects going right now, in various stages of completion, thanks to a Killer Lunch Break at the Thrift Store.One of my Homegirls is an artist, and we've talked about making a trade: I'll sew her something nice, and she'll give me a piece of art. I would say that I come out on top, because I love to sew and then I get something sweet in return? But she doubtless enjoys painting as much as I enjoy sewing, so... everybody wins! Even better. The Rainbow Thing is a medium-weight cotton shower curtain, and I'm envisioning a 1970s-style summer top and sundress out of it. Maybe something off-the-shoulder, Mama's Family-style (what?).
The Green Thing is a killer linen tablecloth. I'd love to make a 1950s-style wiggle-dress with a boat neck and pencil skirt, like This Nice Lady did here, also out of a tablecloth. I kinda doubt I'll have enough fabric for that, so it might be just the pencil skirt. And that is Oh-Kay too.
The Brown Thing! It is an Old Pillowcase. I started deconstructing it before I remembered to take a picture, so the grody, stained off-white thing is part of it too. This is for milady Jess's birthday. It's going to be an apron, because she has recently taken a serious interest in cooking, and I'll always do my part to encourage mutual interest in Awesome Things. I thought the pattern on it looked an awful lot like chicken wire or chain link fence, so the plan was to make some sort of chicken decal or applique' to go on it. Very reminiscent of something I would've found in my grandmother's house.

Next post: The Chicken Apron.

No comments: